Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Diagnostics Done!

Hooray!  Today I completed all of the diagnostics for my cancer.  I will still do the genetic test to confirm whether or not I carry one of the two breast cancer genes (we think not, but you never know), but all of the actual tests that affect my current diagnosis and prognosis are done!  I'm amazed at how grueling that process really was.  It all started with the biopsy.  Then I had the follow up mammogram and ultrasound on both breasts and surrounding area.  Next came the bloodwork.  The MRI happened after that, and today, I finished everything up with a PET scan.  Phew- that was a lot.

Gratefully the PET scan was "no big deal" for me.  They took me to the special CT trailer, hooked me up to an IV for some Fluorodeoxyglucose which is the radioactive material that the scanner uses to see heightened metabolic function (which would indicate cancer).  I then had to sit for about an hour while the material worked its way through my body.  I couldn't even play on my phone because that could affect how it settled!  Then they put me in the machine for a baseline CT scan, put some Iodine into my IV, and then ran the PET scan (which is just the same as a CT scan, only longer).  I was in the machine for about 40 minutes total.  MUCH more comfortable than the MRI.  Other than the normal response to the various IV materials (cool at first and warm from the Iodine), I didn't feel a thing.

I don't have any results to report, though they sent me away with a disk of the image.  Yes I've looked- it is very very intersting, but I really don't want to even pretend to guess at the results.  My gut tells me it looks fine, but too soon to tell.  I can however call my doctor tomorrow for results.  They should have the MRI results too.  With all of this I can just focus on my fertility stuff, and then move on to chemo!  Making progress folks.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see your disc! I bet you look good in 3D. Congrats on finishing all your tests! xoxo

    ReplyDelete