Sunday, March 20, 2011

Big Love

Well maybe not that kind of Big Love (just watched the finale- amazing!), but today I am feeling love that is big.  As I sit here waiting to see what tomorrow will bring I am reflecting on my truly truly amazing community.  In many ways, I think you actually don't want to ever see how great your community really is.  Usually when you see the depth of love and support from your community it means there is something bad that has happened.  With that said I am one very lucky person to have the people in my life that I do.

Today we had a huge crew at our house cleaning it (and I mean cleaning) while we were on our way back from a little overnight to Monterey Bay.  Nick's mom put together an amazing powerhouse effort to come in and prep our house for my chemo treatment.  It included herself, Henry, her mom Marie, her sister Sue, sister Pam, Brother in Law Kel, Niece Alyssa, Nick's brother's Mikey and Gerlando, and my mom.  They went so above and beyond in their efforts.  Sue even brought flowers to fill our house with bright cheerful somethings, and Marie made Minestrone that we can freeze for later.

I admittedly was uncomfortable with the idea of having people come in and clean my house.  It was entirely vanity (what will they think when they see what is under my couch!, and surely they'll think we are just disgusting because of ... fill in the blank).  The truth of the matter is that it was a wonderful treat and greatly appreciated.  And boy oh boy, is our house clean!

In addition to this powerhouse crew, I came home to a lovely surprise from my dear friend Laura.  She is one very very thoughtful lady.  Laura, everything surprised and delighted me and I can't wait to read the books- they are sure to amuse! =)

I also want to thank everyone for notes, voicemails, text messages, facebook messages, emails, cards, etc.  I have been trying my hardest to keep up with the responses but it has officially gotten overwhelming.  But I want to make sure to say somewhere (at least once) that I have gotten every message and am so grateful.  It means so much to know that I am in everyone's thoughts and prayers.  It gives me bolstered confidence to know that I am quite literally surrounded on all sides.  I will still try and reply as I am able but needed to focus on other things this past week.

Speaking of other things, we took a wonderful get away up to Monterey Bay last night.  It was a sweet little trip.  We arrived in the early afternoon (Bella cooperated fairly well on longer drive) and after check in to the hotel walked down to the aquarium.  I haven't actually ever been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium so it was particularly fun for me.  The exhibits are wonderful and it was particularly fun to see Bella zone out on all the fish.  I think it may have been a little overwhelming for her because she didn't get particularly happy or excited but just sort of stared at everything as we walked along.  After our tour of the aquarium we strolled through Cannery Row and all of the tourists shops, went back to the hotel for a nap and then headed out to dinner.  I managed to actually forget for a bit what I am currently facing.  That felt really good.  Then today we drove to Carmel by the Sea (or I should say through Carmel since Bella was napping there was no stopping), hit up Pezzini's Artichoke Farm in Castroville (had some of their product for dinner- yummy!), and a quick stop at the Gilroy Outlets before heading home.  It was a truly wonderful little trip and I am so very happy that we made it happen.  I needed this.

Now with a clean house and a clean mind I am ready to face tomorrow head on.  Let's kick this cancer's butt! =)

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the weekend getaway! You three needed to escape reality for a bit. How generous of your family to clean house while you were gone- we all know that if the tables were turned you would be doing the same for us. Best of luck today Karey!! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all love you Karey. Thinking about you all the time.

    ReplyDelete