Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cycle day 4

Cycle days- that is how my medical team refers to each day in between treatments.  Today is cycle day 4.  Day one- treatment and worst symptoms.  Day two- some nausea but minimal, mostly just tired.  Day three- more energy, food aversions but some appetite, and finding the line of laying low and living life.

Day four I thought it was time to do something different.  I was bound and determined to get out of the house (despite the crazy weather).  My dad came up in the morning and helped me (slowly) motivate (with my mom's help too of course!) to get out of the house.  Bella and I took a nap, we got some food in us, got dressed and headed out.  The big destination?  We went to Target and Whole Foods.  Turns out, that is a big undertaking when you haven't left the house in three days.  By the time I got home I was wiped out!

Just after we got home- despite desperately needing a nap- it was time for the representative from the Ceres Project to come by for my intake appointment.  If you are looking for a great local cause to support (volunteering or financially) check them out.  They deliver healthy, nutritive, local, organic meals to cancer patients based around food as medicine principles that Rebecca Katz uses in her book that I mentioned before.  Anyhow sometime in mid-April I will become a client and begin receiving meals each week.  That was the purpose of today's meeting- get my nutritive (and taste) needs explored to help support me through this process.  I just feel so well taken care of between my family and doctors and services like Ceres.  That is a good feeling.

After that meeting was done it was time for my dad to go home (it was nearly 3) and both my mom and I needed to crash.  We had the typical "no you go lay down" conversation before it occurred to me that my dear friend Lindsay was on her first day of spring break and might just be available for a short playdate with Bella so that we could both go lay down.  Gratefully Lindsay was a hop skip and a jump away and was happy to sit and play with my sweet baby girl for a couple of hours while I napped.  Thank you Lindsay for loving and enjoying my baby and being willing and able to help!  You're the best!

Then Nick came home a little earlier and sweetly went to the store since I finally had a craving (or at least a food that sounded tasty and not just edible) and he and mom cooked dinner.  Tomorrow we are definitely eating the premade foods in the house I promise! =)  The idea of food that sounded yummy was just too hard to pass up after several days of aversions.  We are capping our night out catching up on American Idol (yes I still watch the silly show) and early to bed!

I'm sure there are much more interesting things I could have written about tonight, but I am just so darn tired!  Guess I'd better watch my iron intake in case this is related to borderline anemia from treatment!  I'm so brain foggy!  I trust though that every day is going to get better and this time next week a trip to target and whole foods will be a piece of cake!  Maybe even by myself with Bella!

So thank you all again for your love and support and simple interest as I walk through this fire.  I promise to do my best to keep up with regular updates on the simply "hows" I am doing, and the more complex "whats" I am doing, and hopefully as my brain allows a little bit of what this whole experience is doing in my heart and mind.  As the Grateful Dead once said "It's a long strange trip" we're on...

5 comments:

  1. I am so honored that you thought of me yesterday!! It was my pleasure to come play with Isabella so that you could get a much needed nap. I was happy to help and hardly consider spending time with your adorable baby girl a favor. I am ready for my next phone call!!! Hopefully, cycle day 5 will bring you even more energy!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There,
    Just let me know what you like to eat and I will cook it for you, any time, so let me know
    love Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you! Love vetty.. You are f in amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. O ya american idol rocks! I still watch too! Love and healing thighs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woops! I meant thoughts.....;)

    ReplyDelete