Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Cancer Cut

Today I went wig shopping.  Nick's mom Lorraine, Bella and my dear friend Vanessa and her baby Phoenix all went along for the ride.  It was, well, odd.  I teared up a little in the shop and felt like we were addressing a really sad part of this process.  And it is sad, but after I left I realized I needed someone to make it fun for me.  Hair is fun.  Wigs are fun.  Let's make this nonsense fun!

So we purchased a wig that will be a really nice high end wig that will look much like my natural hair.  It will be in sometime next week.  However, my hair is falling out faster and faster so something had to be done.  Vanessa being the wonderful friend she is (and hairdresser to boot) came to my house and chopped my hair off (what little there was left!).  She left me with a very cute short do to enjoy for the next few days (because I'm fairly sure it will all be gone by the weekend).  Here's shot of my new do:

Cute right?  Not something I would ever be brave enough to do under normal circumstances, so hey, now I know what I look like with short hair!  Admittedly I don't see myself ever doing this by choice in the future, but it is fun to try!

Also Lorraine, Bella and I stopped into the wig shop on 4th street for an "oh no, my hair will be gone this weekend and I need something for various events planned!" wig.  Lorraine and I got matching bobs for the family fun on Sunday, mine is Easter blond and Lorraine's is awesome purple!  These will be super fun wigs to pull out any time.  Short, fun and funky!

Tomorrow Vanessa and I are going to do some more shopping for wigs and hats and scarves.  I just need to make this fun fun fun.  I've got the "real" stuff settled, and now it is about owning this process.  Maybe I'll have a different colored wig for every day of the week! ;)  Probably not, but hey, this could be fun.  I may or may not be strong enough to rock the bald look.  If I get there, I'll do it.  In the mean time I am going to play hair dress up!

Today's shout outs go to Lorraine for being on Bella duty and taking me to my wig appointment.  My mom as always for her ever present love and 'momming'.  Aunt Judith for an amazing dinner (that salad was really delicious!).  Uncle Gary for letting our dogs terrorize you just a little on a walk (or something like it!).  Vanessa for her steadfast love and "getting it" in my crazy moments (Sabrina hats are a must this summer!), and a fabulous haircut to boot!  I am just a lucky lucky girl.  It is easy to feel blessed even in the face of this horrible disease.  So thank you thank you thank you.

Here's a little picture showing three generations of pixie cuts!  (Sarah- you ready to join us?)

1 comment: