Friday, April 30, 2010

7 Month Appointment

So today I had my 7 month prenatal appointment. Well we'll call it seven month even though officially I won't hit that marker till next week. =)

Overall it was a good appointment. No news is good news. The heart rate was good (though she didn't tell me what it was this time). The doctor did tell me that she was rocking around in there, or something to that affect. She is very active (which I knew!) and that's all she meant. =) I didn't see my normal practitioner since I am officially "high risk" due to being on medication for my GD. They require that I see an actual MD one time (my normal practitioner is a Nurse Practitioner). So I saw the MD today. We talked through some of the concerns that I'm having with my diet (that I posted about earlier) and she agreed that it is ultimately a balancing act, and that I'm right, none of this is intuitive. They really don't want me gaining weight, so as long as I am trying to eat healthfully and maintaining good blood sugar numbers, we're all happy. I feel confident that I can make that happen.

I also talked to her about what happens at the end. I've been told that since I am on medication for GD, I will be induced between 39 and 40 weeks. In other words that will not let me go past my due date. I will also do weekly non-stress tests beginning at 32 weeks, and have a growth ultrasound at 36 weeks. These will contribute to the final conclusion of how and when I deliver Miss Isabella.

The good news is that she felt my GD is very well controlled. I showed her my record book and she was happy with my numbers and notes. So if I keep on course the way I am, I will be considered controlled, and will be given more flexibility. Hopefully that means I could even have my induction scheduled for my actual due date, and not earlier.

I also asked about what happens with the baby's size. Since a risk of GD is having an over sized baby, and we know that in both my family and Nick's family we grow big babies, I figure that at some point I will be told she is big. So my question was, when we have the growth ultrasound and find out how big she is, what can I expect. If she is in a particular percentile (i.e. 90%) will they want to induce early?

Essentially she said if she is massive (like 10 lbs at 36 weeks) they would be concerned, and likely offer a c-section at that point. Frankly I would be concerned too. =) But there isn't a strict policy regarding percentile and induction. It really depends on all of the factors combined, and she kept reiterating that it comes down to being considered controlled (which I am at this point) or uncontrolled.

Clearly if your GD is uncontrolled you are at higher risk for everything, and they watch you more carefully. So fingers crossed that I can stay on this path of being controlled. I'm watching my month markers (24 weeks, 28 weeks, 32 weeks, etc) for changes in how food is functioning in my body. So far so good since at 24 weeks, my body seemed to better regulate (or at least that is my interpretation of what has happened).

So there is my update. I'll try to get a picture tonight or tomorrow since we will be celebrating Nick's birthday and I should feel festive enough to take some pictures. =) Oh yeah, and I'm getting my hair done! I always feel better when that happens!

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment