Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dirty Thirty!

Yesterday was Nick's big 'dirty thirty' birthday party bash!  It was amazing.  We've been planning for a long time as you well know, and really put a lot of work into this party.  It was themed "Nick's Favorite Things", which made for quite an interesting party!  We used rooms and stations to give the party some flow (and not look like we were just crazy!).  I'll explain in pictures below because it really came out awesome.  Most importantly though, this party really had that "magic" that the best events have.  You can plan for the food, the decorations, and even the guest list, but at the end of the day, some events just have that special something that make them the most fun.  For me- this was definitely one of those events.  I was beaming ear to ear all day.  We had around 60 people show up for the event (maybe more?) including friends, family and even our neighbors!  I'm pretty sure everyone that attended enjoyed themselves.  If you missed it- here is your chance to live it through pictures!

The living room was the baseball/dodger room.  It featured a slide show of over 300 pictures of Nick through the years.
Then the dining room was the "dirty thirty" room- which really wasn't dirty at all because it had all the food in in it!  Here is the day's menu-
Appetizers: Sushi from Yu Shang: Volcano Roll, Firecracker Roll, Spicy Crunchy Tuna Roll, Bonsai with Maguro Roll, Cucumber Salad a la Yu Shang, Spinach Patties by Karey, Garlic Rolls by Marie, Focaccia by Liguria Bakery, Steak Tartar by Gerry & Gerlando, Taquitos, Fried Cheese, Zucchini Sticks, Chips and Salsa with Queso Dip
Dinner: Tortilla Casserole by Lorraine, Babyback Ribs by Gerry & Gerlando & Lorraine, Vegetarian Taco Salad by Comforts, Chicken Okasan by Comforts, Philly Cheesesteak by Italian Delight, Deep Fried New York Steak
Dessert: Cheesecake by Lorraine, Birthday Cake: Vanilla Chiffon Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting and fresh strawberries by Polly Ann Bakery, Home Run Pies, Oreo Cookies and Milk, Piñata Candy
Most of the dinner is out!
The Rock Band Room was well used for an all night rock band party!

My sister Sarah created the most amazing Cuban Cigar Lounge for Nick which included a fully stocked bar as well as some excellent cigars for those smokers in the crowd (not actually cuban).
Also Sarah (and her husband Alex) created a "dive bar", also known as Nick's Silver Viking, which included a popcorn machine, a kegerator that featured Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Jaeger and Rock Star.


Overall, it was truly an amazing event.  So much love and fun and enjoyment.  I'm exhausted to be sure but so very glad we did it.  It gave me something to focus on over the last few weeks and gave everyone around us a chance to really let their hair down and just celebrate life.

Tomorrow I go in for treatment number four.  This marks the final treatment of Adriamycin and Cytoxin as well as the halfway point of my chemotherapy.  After this treatment I will switch to Taxol for four cycles.  I am admittedly nervous switching drugs as I don't know how my body will take it.  Especially after feeling so rough after this last cycle.  I'm hoping cycle number four treats me gently to give me a little break before the new (and supposedly tougher) drug starts. 

Some shout outs for tonight.  A huge thank you to Lorraine, Nick's mom, for everything she did for this party.  She cooked, cleaned, shopped, ordered, organized and kept things running smoothly.  I literally could not have done this without you.  Another huge thank you to my sister Sarah.  Your creative mind and hard work on the decorations were unbeatable.  Everything looked amazing.  A huge thank you to my mom Lynne for helping with Bella and cleaning the house and a perfect pinata!  I thank goodness for you every day.  And another huge thank you to my sister KC who spent Friday night with us, helped with Bella, and hand scrubbed our deck among other things.  You rock.  Other thank yous- Gerry and Gerlando for your delicious food!  My nephew Shaughn for helping prep and being our go to popcorn maker.  Noni Marie for your help decorating and delicious Garlic rolls.  We might need to make those a regular food at events in the future!  To my dad and Vicki for picking up Yu Shang!  To Mikey for your heavy lifting and running the dogs!  To Toni-Marie for helping set up- most particularly setting up the Keg!  Thank goodness you were here!  To Katie and Brian Shelah for being such awesome friends that you flew out here for one night "just to help".  We are so lucky to have friends like you and it was awesome to get to see you live and in person in California!  To Chris Svenson for picking up the Focaccia- yum!  Phew- it really was a huge team effort.  I hope I didn't forget anyone, but if I did- please know I am exceptionally grateful- just moderately braindead! =)

Keep me in your thoughts tomorrow!  Prayers, visualizing the cancer being eliminated, and energetic quick healing thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment