Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Disappointment

I have been fighting this battle now for eight months.  I have felt very lucky that nothing has really delayed any of my treatments.  I sailed through chemo with no delays.  I scheduled my surgery and barrelled right through.  It took awhile to have my drains removed, but it didn't actually delay my radiation or my tissue expander filling.  I started radiation and managed to fly through five weeks of treatment without much effect other than a little fatigue.

This past week has officially thrown me off that lucky trend.  My skin has gone from slightly irritated to complete radiation burn.  There are two spots that have peeled and are now open, raw skin.  This is where my doctor draws the line.  It is too damaged to treat.  I haven't had a treatment since Monday.  In case you've forgotten, I was supposed to have my last treatment tomorrow.  Now I'm taking tomorrow off completely (not going to the clinic just to be turned away for the fourth day in a row).  This is in hopes that my skin will heal enough to have my treatment on Friday.  Assuming I am able to be treated on Friday, and keep pace, I will finish on Wednesday of next week.

I'm pretty disappointed to say the least.  When I finish these treatments, I am done with treatment.  So to have that end so close, and yet so far, has been a tough pill to swallow.  But I'm trying to keep my attitude of gratitude for the month, so here we go.

Today I am grateful to have a doctor who genuinely cares about both my immediate, and long term health and well being.  I know that I am being cared for in the best possible way and have an excellent team working for me.  Not everyone can say that, and I am grateful that I can!

2 comments:

  1. Almost there Karey!!!! Hang in there and finish strong! We are thinking of you and sending you and your skin healing thoughts! Love you.

    xoxo, Matt and Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karey, if it's anyone who can hang on for one more week, it's you. You got this !! I'm praying for you.

    Love you, Colleen

    ReplyDelete