Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Crossing the finish line

Tomorrow is my last day of radiation.  Officially.  I hardly believe it, but my doctor isn't even in the office tomorrow, so she can't decide tomorrow to change it. =)  It is difficult to wrap my brain around being done.  I've spent the last eight months of my life moving from one phase, to the next, to the next to manage this diagnosis.  Now, suddenly, I'm done.  Now it is time to mentally and emotionally heal and truly move on from this strange, unexpected blip in my life.

I've missed some gratitudes this week, but only in blog land, so I will catch up.

Monday I was grateful for Isabella.  Of course I am grateful for her every day, but it was one of those days where my heart sang extra loud for her.  She gets sweeter and sweeter every single day and I am so very lucky to be her mom.

Yesterday I was grateful for Nick's mom Lorraine.  She has been so wonderful through this whole process.  Well, since I came into her life honestly.  I hear horror stories all the time about mother-in-laws and think how truly blessed I have been and am.  Anyhow what inspired me yesterday to make it the day of gratitude for Lorraine was her phone call yesterday evening.  She was calling to discuss my birthday party with Nick (which she is very involved in helping to plan), to offer to come over tonight to take Bella for the night (giving both Nick and I a night off), and to ask if she can take me dress shopping for my party.  She is just constantly amazing me with her generosity of all resources, most particularly her time, energy and spirit.  I am lucky to have her in my life, and extra lucky to call her family.

Today I am grateful to be through the tough first year of motherhood.  Although certainly we still have difficult days, generally speaking Bella gets more and more fun, and "easier" each and every day.  I was reminded how hard those early days were when I spoke to a girlfriend who has a two and a half week old today.  It is a magical time that I miss regularly, but man it is hard.  So today I count my blessings that we are through those scary, uncertain, overwhelming days.

2 comments:

  1. YAY Karey! I am SO excited to hear that tomorrow will be your last day of radiation!! We don't get to chat often enough, but I think of you all the time! I am finally catching up on your blog! First, I am SO sorry to hear that you had to deal with the radiation burns, and happy to hear these have healed and you can be done!! I hope you can plan something super fun for your birthday - I'd love to hear all about it!!! Sending you my love, and hugs and kisses!! ;) xoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you Karey ! I knew you would pull through and beat this cancer's ass! If anyone could do it, it would be you :)
    Love you

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete