Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A new day and a new attitude

I am continuing to process the news of my recent diagnosis.  Each day is a new challenge and I haven't even started to monitor my blood sugar levels yet!  Mostly I'm working on my attitude, and just trying to watch what I eat to see if I feel better.  I've had moderate luck for the last two days, and that is based purely on my own simple knowledge of how to eat well for blood sugar.  I've completely cut out obvious sugars, and WAY cut down on fruit (until I have a better sense of what I can eat and when without side effects).  I'm increasing fiber and cutting down on carbs.  I'm also making sure I get my 3 snacks a day, along with my 3 (small) meals a day.  This helps avoid spiking and crashing.  So far, I at least feel better.  Not 100% as I can still feel the effects, but certainly better than before.

Meanwhile I am scheduling all of my appointments to move forward.  I've scheduled a follow up ultrasound (but am not telling when it is just in case we still don't find out and have to go back again!), my meeting with a dietician, and all I have left is my "training" session with a nurse for GD (I think mostly how to use the monitor for blood sugar).  I swear I am spending more time at my local Kaiser than anyone ever should!  Thank goodness for good health insurance!

And so with a fresh perspective and a steeled attitude about overcoming the challenge of the next 5 months, I put one foot in front of the other.  I'm grateful for the people in my life who are here to support me.  I admit I've felt a little embarassed about this diagnosis, but am glad that I've decided to share.  A support network is much more important than my pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment