Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Furniture and Sugar

I was reminded today by a friend that I have not written in awhile.  (Sorry Ulrike!)  It is so easy to think no one actually reads this that when I get sick of thinking about the same things myself, I don't bother putting them in writing. =)

We are in full countdown mode until the big ultrasound (6 days my friends!) so the "is it a boy or a girl" debate rages on.  We discussed it last night at dinner and had a 50/50 split decision.  So hopefully the big reveal will happen soon and we can announce if it is a Karey jr or Nick jr (oh didn't you know that's what we'll be naming our kids!?!). =)  Or perhaps it will be a Gertrude or Vader. =)

This weekend was quite a big baby weekend actually.  On Saturday I started the morning off with the dreaded one hour glucose tolerance test.  For those that don't know, for the glucose test you drink this awful sugary drink (mine was lemon lime flavored so it tasted like an extra sweet, flat Sprite) and then have to have blood drawn exactly one hour later.  I thought for sure I would feel terrible after drinking this awful syrup since I have been very sensitive to sugar during pregnancy.  I was surprised that I actually felt pretty good after the whole ordeal, and was acutally believing that I would pass considering how I felt.

The bad news?  I failed.  Essentially if you get over 140 but below 200 you are in the grey zone.  Over 200 you officially have Gestational Diabetes.  Under 140 you are golden.  I fell into the grey zone.  This means that I will have to do the even more dreaded 3 hour glucose test.  How this one works is that I have to drink the same drink, only it is doubly sweet.  They draw blood before you drink it, and then once per hour for three hours.  Yes, that means 4 blood draws in three hours.  Plus you have to fast for 8-10 hours before.  Suffice it to say I am not thrilled about the prospect.  But I asked about the test early because I know my body and can tell that I am not processing sugar well, so better safe than sorry and figure out how to manage my diet better now.

After the glucose test Nick and I decided it was time to begin our baby registry.  We headed down to Babies R Us and got busy shopping.  It was really just about getting some of the essentials nailed down and the process started.  I'm sure we'll be updating and changing along the way, but at least I feel like we've started making some concrete progress.  Then Sunday we took Nick's mom to Hellers for Children and made even more progress!  We actually purchased our crib and dresser.

It is the Munire Urban collection.  This is the actual crib that we purchased.  The dresser is a long low 6 drawer dresser, that will also serve as the changing table.  You can get the idea of the look of it from the tall dresser in this picture.  Same design for the drawers, just 3 tall, 2 wide.  Nick's mom was very generous to help us out with this purchase, and now our baby will have furniture for life.  This crib converts first to a toddler bed by removing the front panel and adding a toddler rail, and then converts to a full size bed using the front and back of the crib as head and foot boards!  I think this is nicer furniture than I have! =)

The furniture is delivered in 8-12 weeks, so that should be just enough time for us to clear out the nursery, and get it ready.  We plan to paint the walls, put in carpet (it is hard wood floors right now), and put in new baseboards.  I will also need to get new window treatments, but that doesn't have to happen before the furniture arrives.  So now all that is left for the actual room will be to purchase a glider/rocker and a bookshelf (which we might already have one in the house to use).  Then the room will be complete!  At least as far as furniture goes.

We even got busy on Sunday night clearing out the nursery.  It is a big project since the boxes currently residing in that room are all of the ones that we just didn't want to deal with right away when we moved.  It is all of the random stuff that we have to decide if we want to store it, and if so, how and where!  But we at least have a sense of what is in there now and I have a plan of attack for the next few steps in there.

So there is my update for now.  Not sure that anything more exciting will happen this week but I'll try to keep you posted!  The big news will certainly be coming on Monday so count down until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment