Saturday, July 3, 2010

Seriously???

I keep joking that I like to keep things interesting, but I've officially hit my limit on excitement and am ready for some peace and quiet.  Just a couple of weeks is all I'm asking! =)

Anyhow today was my regular prenatal appointment.  I slept in, enjoying my first day off of work.  Got ready and was running a little late (as per usual these days!).  I arrived at my appointment feeling fine and ready to find out if I was starting to make any progress since I'd had some contractions at my appointment yesterday.  Got into the room and surprise surprise my blood pressure was a little high.  I sort of laughed when the nurse said that and told her that it was because I was running late and that it would be down in 10 minutes.

Then my OB came in and informed me that she was being made to move me to an MD.  I had hoped to get myself out of that, but apparently it is protocol.  So I agreed and we started talking.  Then she informed me that there was protein in my urine.  Normally they want to see negative or trace readings.  A "1+" is acceptable.  I read a "3+" today.  This is an indication of pre-eclampsia.  I asked if something else could possibly cause that because I had just checked myself last night and had a trace reading.

Anyhow they (my OB and my new doctor OB) sent me to labor and delivery again.  I confirmed that they would just be monitoring me, much like last time, and the chance of induction was very very low.  Essentially even if there had continued to be protein in my urine, they wouldn't likely induce me right away.  The only way that would have happened would have been if my blood work came back showing that my kidney or liver function was compromised.

So I picked Nick up and off we went to the hospital again.  At least this time they put us in an actual labor room instead of in triage.  The bed was MUCH more comfortable and we had a tv to watch while they checked my blood pressure and strapped me up to the baby and contraction monitors.  Right away the nurse told me that my urine was back down to trace protein.  So I could relax a little which brought my blood pressure down.

As usual, the baby looked good, and I'm still having some random contractions.  Nothing painful, and I really only feel about half of them.  They must technically be "false labor" still though because I'm not making any "progress" (i.e. I'm not dilating or effaced at all).  Then after a couple of hours of monitoring my blood results came back and that all looked good too.

So yet again, nothing has actually changed.  But we're getting to know the folks at the hospital and even saw the same doctor again (only because she remembered me, so that was nice!)... Now I'm hoping to not go back for at least two more weeks, and then only for the real event.  It's getting a little ridiculous getting sent in like this.  My plan to avoid this is to drink mass quantities of water (I think maybe I was a little dehydrated this morning) and keep myself as low stress as possible.  It should be do-able now that I am off of work.

So there you have it.  Another exciting day in the life of pregnancy.  I realize that I missed my weekly update this week, so I will try to rectify that tomorrow sometime.  For now, it is off to bed.  I capped my day off with tickets to Wicked, so at least I got a treat at the end of my crazy day.  But now I am exhausted! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment