Sunday, July 18, 2010

The end is near

Much to my surprise at my last doctors appointment, we set the induction date.  I always knew that they wouldn't let me go past my due date, but since things have actually been going quite well, I thought they would let me get close.  I had sort of been thinking that Friday the 23rd would be the earliest (since I am due on a Tuesday and I don't think they like to schedule inductions on the weekend).

Well this is where the surprise came in.  The doctor doesn't want me to go much past 39 weeks now because of the concern with my blood pressure (the reason I've been sent to Labor and Delivery twice).  I am officially 39 weeks this Tuesday!  So induction is set for the next day, Wednesday July 21st.  This is Nick's brother Gerlando's birthday.  The one day I was trying to avoid!  Go figure.

The other unfortunate news is that despite all of these contractions I've been having, I haven't made any "progress" other than perhaps a little cervical softening.  Still "closed and long".  So what this means is that my induction will be a multi-step process.  We will call in on Wednesday, and they will tell us what time they want us to come in (depending on how full and busy they are, etc).  When we arrive and settle into our room, they will give me a cervical ripening agent as the first step.  This in and of itself can sometimes be enough to get labor going, which is what I am really hoping for since I've been having contractions already.  But if not, it is designed to get things opening up so that the next day when we start the Pitocin it isn't just giving me painful, useless contractions.

Yes, I did say the next day.  I anticipate going in sometime later on Wednesday for step one of the process, and then beginning the Pitocin early on Thursday.  This would mean that hopefully Isabella will join us as an outside baby sometime on Thursday, July 22nd.

Worst case scenarios can include a couple of things.  The first is that the process doesn't work the first time to get active labor and we have to go through more than one round of it.  You can imagine this now becomes a multi day process.  Or, something doesn't react well with me or the baby, and we end up in c-section.

In the meantime, I am doing everything I can to either get my body to go into labor before Wednesday, or at least be more favorable for this induction.  I'm walking and eating spicy foods and sitting on the birthing (i.e. yoga) ball, and even doing acupuncture.  I've gone twice for my induction points already in hopes that things will get moving.  Even if they don't my acupuncturist worked on my blood pressure points (to keep things under control), and even more important my various stress points.  Relaxation is key for a good labor.

Other than being a little upset that the end of my pregnancy is being rushed, I feel good.  I'm not wretchedly uncomfortable, and am ready to meet my little girl.  I'm even coming around to be emotionally prepared for "worst case" so that if that happens, I'm not devastated.  I'm working on enjoying my last few days of "freedom" and really make sure to do enough of the things I want to that might be hard to do soon.  I'm keeping my head up and staying hopeful that I will still get a birth experience in line with what I want.

The craziest thing is, by this time next week, no matter what else happens, Nick and I will be parents.  Exciting and terrifying all at the same time! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment