Sunday, April 1, 2012

Back to "normal"

We have been somewhat getting back to "normal" over the last couple of weeks.  Other than the fact that Bella was hit with yet another cough/cold/flu this week, we have been getting our feet back under us and regulating our lives a bit.  As this pregnancy becomes more real and permanent with every passing day I am realizing how crucial it is to create some stability in Bella's life, and enjoy our one child household.  So this week I made an effort to put Bella down for a nap and bedtime during semi regular times, tried to keep meals regular and (mostly) home cooked, and tried to include daily activities to get us out of the house and stimulated.

I know I started my regular updates, but will probably only do them every other week this pregnancy, since I felt like they got redundant last time.  So a quick check in!  I am 11.5 weeks along and nearly in the safe zone.  I still feel pretty good; tired and occasionally nauseated, but over all good.  I need to connect with the endocrinologist to begin my monitoring for g.d. but don't have anything scheduled yet.  I see my OB's office on April 12th for my monthly appointment (though I will be seeing one of their mid-wives this time so that I can meet everyone in the practice who might deliver my baby).  I also have my NT scan scheduled for that same day.  I realized that I need to schedule an appointment to see my breast surgeon for a check up some time in May, and my oncologist for a check up some time in June.  I think I mentioned that in addition to my regular prenatal appointments (which are once a month with my OB's office, who knows how often with the endocrinologist, and then get closer and closer until we arrive at delivery, not to mention ultrasounds and blood work) my cancer doctors want to see me once a trimester to track my breast changes.  I was clearly told by my oncologist that she isn't worried about a recurrence in the other breast (which we could do ultrasounds and mammograms on, even during pregnancy if needed), but really a truly local recurrence in my right "breast".  When she told me that it gave me a sense of relief since for whatever reason, I'm (usually) not worried about that.

Back to pregnancy... Anyhow I have been struggling with breast tenderness, particularly on the cancer side.  It's tough since I don't have any sense of what is "normal" or not in pregnancy post-mastectomy.  I know there is still breast tissue there, particularly since I had a skin and nipple sparing surgery.  But you certainly don't expect it to be the typical tenderness in a full breast going through pregnancy.  I think the harder part for me is that I don't know who to talk to about it.  Who knows how to tell me if what I am experiencing is normal or not?  My plastic surgeon?  My oncologist?  My OB?  With so many doctors I feel like I would get the same number of answers.  I guess as long as no one is concerned that is the most I can hope for.

Not much else to tell.  I'm getting ready to begin rehearsals for the mountain play this week and starting to use my YMCA membership to get active.  Keeping busy while slowly taking on some very overdue house projects.  I will be sharing a master bedroom mini-makeover in the next couple of weeks that is the first domino in preparing for baby number two!  And will share what it is like to take on a major commitment to a show while raising a toddler and pregnant as soon as I have jumped in.  An exciting few upcoming months to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment