Saturday, September 10, 2011

Koya Huye!

Today was a truly heart filling, soul smiling sort of day.  I woke up (albeit exhausted from less than 3 hours of sleep after some serious insomnia), to hugs and kisses from my sweet girl.  We got up and enjoyed a delicious and healthy breakfast together and then ran some errands.  After that it was time to run off to my dear friend Angela's baby shower.  Angela is about 33 weeks pregnant with a little girl, and it was so wonderful to see her glowing and beautiful and celebrate this life she is growing.

After the shower, I had been invited to participate in/ witness a marriage proposal.  Sounds strange I know... In 2007 I was a tribe member of the cast of Hair for the mountain play.  Two of our cast mates, Erica and Jeff, met during this show and began dating a short while later.  They have been together ever since.  About a month ago Jeff called up the entire Hair tribe (which we named Koya Huye) and asked them to be hiding in the mountain theatre this afternoon.  He planned to bring Erica to the stage, propose and then shout out "Koya!" to which the group would resoundingly respond with "Huye!".  This was our call during the show.  Then the group would show themselves and celebrate with the happy couple.  I sadly couldn't make it up in time for the proposal (I was still celebrating Angela- another tribe member), but made it up to catch the end of the celebration.

It's funny- through the years I have always referred to my "theatre friends" as a specific type.  Generally speaking, when you do a show, the cast becomes a family.  You are bonded for life in this odd way.  Then, once the show is over, you lose contact.  Even with this, when you run into these people after the show, there is still a heartfelt connection.  The cast of hair is not only no exception, it is an even stronger bond since it truly encourages the "tribe" mentality.  To be able to reunite with so many of these wonderful people truly made my heart sing.

On top of the pure joy of the event, and wonderful reunion with beloved tribe members, I also had the opportunity to remember a piece of me that has been neglected for some time.  I spent some time talking with the mountain plays choreographer and after mentioning how much I miss it and want to "get back up there" (meaning the mountain in particular, and the stage generally), he kept saying "come back- we love you!".  We had enjoyed a similar conversation when I had seen him at this year's performance of Hairspray.  It dusted out some of those cobwebs collecting in my heart and soul.  I easily fall into the trap of "just" mommy, or cancer victim, or wife, or whatever.  I hadn't realized how neglected Karey had become in the meantime.  When you have so little energy, and it all goes towards healing first and mommying second, self-care (for your heart and soul and mind) easily fall by the way-side.  So I am setting the intention to audition for next year's mountain play.  Assuming my life will support it and nothing else gets in the way- as I see it, performing will provide exercise (from dance), social interaction as more than Bella's mommy, and heart cleansing (from singing).  Surely it will make me a better person in all facets of my life.

More to share but I will make them separate posts for easier reading. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment