Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chemo is done

As the symptoms of my final round of chemo begin to take over my body, I almost relish it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wish bone pain and a vicodan haze on anyone. However I know as the pain settles in that I am that much closer to being through this fire walk. My eyes drift to the future increasingly. I get to focus on what I want my life to look like once I am officially a survivor. I'm sure there are rough patches to come still but I can definitely see that this experience is offering me a new lease on life. What has come before no longer dictates what lies ahead. So as I lay low through the next several days, I do so happily, because it is the last time I have to do this.

For updates- my surgery is scheduled for august 4th. I am 90% positive it will be a mastectomy not a lumpectomy. I have done a lot of research on the matter and when I take everything into consideration- including post cancer quality of life and reconstruction options- it seems like the best choice for me. Gratefully I have fabulous doctors guiding me in this decision making process. Tomorrow I have my post chemo MRI which will reveal if there is any cancer left. I feel good about it.

2 comments:

  1. woo-hoo!! So, so, so, so glad to hear its winding down! Good to see your spirits are up! and on the bright side- yaaayy for nice boobs- at least that's a plus out of all of this :P
    take care of yourself.
    I will talk to you soon
    XOXOX
    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the MRI go??? I imagine it was flawless and as expected! Thinking of you... have fun in Disneyland!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete