Monday, July 11, 2011

Busy Bees

I've been a terrible blogger I know.  Honestly, I've been busy living my life, not watching it from the couch (or bed, or whatever other horizontal surface is holding me).  I finished chemo exactly two weeks ago.  The following week was brutal.  I had a great deal of bone pain and neuropathy and just pure exhaustion.  Gratefully my attitude wasn't too bad since I knew it was the last time I was going to experience that.  I did start to get a little antsy towards the end of the week, but only because we were leaving for vacation on Sunday and I had a lot to do to prepare!

Sunday came and Nick, Bella, Lorraine and I hopped in our car and drove down to Disneyland.  Bella was a trooper.  It certainly helped that she had Noni Lorraine in the backseat with her, but she napped well and didn't fuss too much, despite being stuck in the car for 7 hours.  When we reached the Disneyland Hotel, Bella was sleeping.  She woke up a little cranky when we parked to unload (understandably since it was past her bedtime), but we walked her over to the giant Mickey statue and she went nuts.  She loved Mickey and was blowing him kisses and talking up a storm.  Here is a picture of Bella and Noni Lorraine with Mickey.

We spent the next two days relaxing by the pool, and visiting with some of Nick's family.  His dad Kenny, Aunts Jean and Diane and Uncles Art and Orlo all live in southern California and came to visit with us.  None of them had met Bella before so we had some fun introducing our sweet girl to them.

Me, Aunt Diane, Isabella, Uncle Art, Aunt Jean, Uncle Orlo, and Nick

Grandpa Kenny and Isabella

On Tuesday night, Nicks brothers and their girlfriends joined us and Wednesday we began the Disneyland Park madness.  We spent three days at the parks and Isabella LOVED every second of it.  She loved the characters most.  Every time she saw any of the characters she started talking up a storm. 

She also loved the Tiki Room.  Of course we had a feeling since she loves looking at birds when we are out and about, and this is a room full of singing birds!  Most days she just looked around taking it all in.  She would nap in the ergo carrier while we were still at the park, and back at the hotel for a mid-day nap each day.  She actually slept through the haunted mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the entire Fantasmic show.  She fell asleep during the fireworks display even!  I can safely say that we have a traveler on our hands.  She loves new places and people and being busy out in the world.  She has little patience for sitting around the house but is happy as a clam when we take her out to see the world.  It will be interesting to see how this goes as she gets older too.

The trip was truly wonderful and exactly what we needed.  I got to feel sort of "normal" for a few days, just running around at Disney with my family.  We had a ton of fun and a little relaxation too.  Lorraine had us stay at the Grand Californian which is right on the Disney property with its own entry to California Adventure.  It was so convenient and made being there with a baby totally doable.

We arrived home on Saturday evening, just in time to cheer my sister Sarah across the finish line of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer on Sunday.  She walked 40 miles in two days.  Crazy.  And she did it fast!  She raised over $5000 for the walk, which is pretty awesome too.  We are talking about doing the walk together next year.  It could be fun!  Hard to see much past the end of my nose these days though.


Next up is Isabella's first birthday!  We will have a big bbq in celebration.  I have quite a bit to do between now and then, but nothing too crazy.  A little housecleaning and food preparation.  Nothing like what I did for Nick's birthday!  But it will be fun all the same.  I'm looking forward to getting everyone together to celebrate my sweet girl.  I continue to feel so lucky to have her.

Then after that- surgery.  It is officially scheduled for August 4th.  I'm admittedly feeling nervous about it, but trying not to future trip.  I want this cancer done and gone.  I'm over this process and it getting in the way of my life.  Almost there.  This is my own version of 40 miles I guess.  I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other, and eventually, I will get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment