Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Missing Milestones!

I've been a terrible blogger- both for my cancer journey, and for Isabella!  Before it is too far gone I must note an important milestone for my baby girl.

Isabella is beginning to talk.

What is the official first word?

Pool.

Yes, as in swimming pool.

On the day of my last chemo treatment, my dad had just brought me home and was holding Isabella.  She was facing me and the window to our back yard.  She began pointing towards me and verbalizing.  At first we thought she wanted me (since I had just gotten home), but we quickly realized that she was in fact pointing at the swimming pool and saying "pool".  We had been swimming quite a bit in the hot weather that we had been having and she loves to swim.  Clearly, she wanted to go out to the pool!

Since then she has clearly said "dog" when pointing to a dog, and repeated countless words as we feed them to her, including bird, Sadie, and cat.  Mama and Dada have of course also happened though there was never a clear moment that those would be first words.  She is also starting to make a "nonono" sound which seems to be for nonnie/noni and some version of Mia for her cousin (who she LOVES).

Ironically she is also starting to sign a little bit now that she is using verbal language.  Months of signing to her, to no avail, and now it starts at the same time as talking!  Well, communication is communication in my book.  It is really fun as she starts to realize she can fully engage her world.

No comments:

Post a Comment