Friday, June 4, 2010

No monster baby here!

Even though I already posted last night about our doctors appointments from yesterday, I've been thinking more and more about what our results tell us. =)

Although ultrasound is a very poor diagnostic tool when it comes to how big the baby is (particularly regarding weight), and I am waiting for the official results from my OB regarding things like head circumference (because let's face it, if I have a natural delivery, that is what we really care about!), we did get the "guesstimate" that Baby Isabella is about 5 lbs, which is the 65th percentile.  Just above average.  Today I decided to look up what that really means when it comes to birth weight.

If she really is in the 65th percentile, and stays there as she grows, that means that she will be just about 8 lbs at birth.  The 50th percentile for baby girls is 7.5 lbs and the 75th is 8.5 lbs, putting us right smack in the middle of that.  So just fat and happy enough for me to know she is healthy, and small enough to not require a c-section or early induction!  That is what we are hoping for after all.

Also another fun fact from our ultrasound last night- we got a really nice face shot on the ultrasound after we handled the business of the ultrasound.  I was totally amazed at how much detail you could see since they are usually pretty fuzzy and hard to read.  But this time it was nearly as clear as the 3D ultrasound!  Anyhow as usual she had her hand up by her face (I sleep with my hands up by my head too, so I guess I'm not surprised that this is her preferred position), but we could still see her features.  It was quite obvious that she has my lips. =)  I have the Sorgen lips- full and plump.  Nick's lips are much thinner.  There is no question that this little girl has inherited the Sorgen lips.  If she gets Nick's eyelashes, boy oh boy are we (especially Nick!) in trouble!  Big eyes and big lips makes for a very convincing and adorable little girl... As Nick said in the elevator she'll be able to give him a big pout that will be hard to resist!

I'll try to post the picture we had printed, though it is hard to see (the print out wasn't nearly as good as what we saw on the monitor).  I just have to actually scan it in since it isn't digital already! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment