Monday, September 9, 2013

Preschool!

We officially have a big girl here!  Bella started preschool today.  It is only two days a week for two and a half hours, but it is preschool.  We show up, she plays, I leave.

Day one went well.  On the way there, she told me I was to leave her there.  Once we arrived, she informed me I was to stay.  I told her I would stay as long as she needed me to.  She got busy playing and I went outside.  After an hour I checked in with the teachers who told me to go ahead and leave (I had a cranky baby on my hands who wanted out of the Ergo and needed a nap).  So I did.  Bella asked for me once when they went out to the playground, the teachers told her I was walking around, and she was fine.  I picked her up when school was over and she was happy to see me though not desperately so.  She told me she forgot to paint and she needed to do that before we left.  She had seen painting stations at other preschools so she figured that was part of the deal.  I told her they didn't have painting today, but I imagined another day they would paint.  We went home and at lunch and took a nap.

On the surface, it seemed like it went well.  Underneath, my gut tells me a different story.  On the way to the car she wasn't listening very well.  Her behavior was questionable for the rest of the day, and she seemed... high strung.  To be fair, she was EXHAUSTED.  Last week we were at Disney (more on that later) and we were busy all weekend too.  She was so tired.  Then playing all morning certainly would have pushed her over the edge in exhaustion.  My gut still tells me that she was just emotionally and mentally stressed with the grown-upness of it all.  I'm prepared for her to not want me to leave at all on Friday, or next week.  Ultimately though it is a sweet sweet school and the teachers are lovely.  I believe it is a very nice setting for her first school experience.  My hope for her is to make one good friend and gain a little confidence and independence.  I think she will get more than that, but we shall see.

This girl amazes me.  Truly, she is sweet and kind and funny and smart.  I am so very very lucky to call myself her mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment