Tuesday, July 31, 2012

In Memorium

Today our family lost an amazing woman.  Bella's great, great grandmother (aka Big Noni, or The Great Noni) Carmel Josephine Mattera passed away.  She was 96 years old (almost 97) and was lucky enough to go peacefully in her sleep at her home.  She was quite the spitfire, and often referred to as mean by family members.  I say that with a little laughter because she was also sweet and vulnerable if you had the chance to share a private moment with her.  One of my first real interactions with her was when she called me Nick's shadow (suffice it to say this caused quite the fight between us since I was the proud 18/19 year old at the time who did not want to be rude, but also did not tolerate such nonsense).  In the years since I have shared many sweet moments with this wonderful woman.  I genuinely love her and am so glad to have been able to bring her very first great, great grandchild into the world while she was still here to enjoy her.  Here is a picture from Bella's first week in the world with her Great Noni, me, and her Big Noni (great grandmother).  It is a memory that I will cherish forever.


Rest in peace Noni Carmel.  I know you are on the great ship in the sky, drinking a negroni, dancing with your dear husband, and playing cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment