Wednesday, May 16, 2012

It's a boy!!!

I know, this is so crazy overdue but it has been nuts these past couple of weeks!  I've mentioned that I am performing in this year's mountain play and we open this weekend!  We've been in crunch time with rehearsals (mostly up on mount tam) and on top of that, I've had appointments up the wazoo!  So I am backtracking quite a bit to catch you all up on the last few weeks.  First things first, we found out we are having a boy!  This post is all about that, and how we shared the news!

At our last ultrasound (the NT scan) they scheduled our anatomy scan, which is usually when you find out the sex of the baby.  Well for some reason (actually, it was because the ultrasound doctor- not tech, doctor- determined since I am "big"- aka fat- ahem, yeah), they wanted to push the date as close to 20 weeks as possible.  That meant we weren't going to have the ultrasound until May 29th!  I told Nick that and he was none too happy with that idea.  So for his birthday I scheduled an elective 3D ultrasound in St Helena where we would not only get some fun pictures of our little one, but also find out the sex.

Nick had the day off of work for his birthday so we cruised up to wine country for our ultrasound!  The tech was wonderful and we plan to go back when we are about 29/30 weeks for another photo shoot.  Little man was very cooperative giving us some clear shots so that there was no question- none of that "look at me" sort of business, but just not hiding either.  You may remember from my anatomy scan with Bella that she was curled up in a ball forcing us to have a second scan and no reveal!  So here is our sweet boy.


After our ultrasound we wound our way back through wine country, enjoying lunch at V. Satui (delicious!) and hitting up a couple of wineries for tastings.  I should clarify, Nick was tasting, not me. =)  It was still a beautiful day in wine country.

Once we were sure we had a confirmed sex, we invited our local family and friends for a little gender reveal dinner.  Since I didn't really get to reveal the pregnancy in a festive way, I wanted to do something fun for the sex.  We had everyone pick a team and wear a lei with that color (pink or blue).  We made everyone "suffer" through dinner without knowing the answer (though plied them with beer and margaritas, since it was cinco de mayo after all) and finally brought out the cake!


I baked a cake and dyed the batter blue.  Then I covered it up thoroughly so no one could tell if it was pink or blue until we cut it open!


Ta da!  The vote was split pretty much 50/50 regarding if it was a boy or a girl so it was really fun to finally get to reveal the answer.

We are very pleased of course to have both a boy and a girl.  It would have been awesome either way but I think most people want to experience parenting both a boy and a girl and we get the pleasure of doing so!  Now the challenge is picking out the name!  If it had been a girl we would have been all set, but boys names are very challenging!  We have a few contenders but it is looking like this may be a game time decision!  So no promises on name reveals until little man joins us.  I am open to suggestions though!  Share your best boys names with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment