Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Anatomy Scan

This week we had our anatomy scan ultrasound.  This is the big scan where they are looking for regular growth, and appropriate development of all organs etc.  They look at the bladder, kidneys, heart, lungs, bones, stomach, diaphragm, etc.  Usually this is also when you find out if you are having a boy or a girl.  Since we are impatient and already found out, we used it for confirmation of the sex.  (Yes, we are still having a boy.)

Everything looks great!  Baby is growing big and has all the expected body parts. =)  They are having me go back for a fetal echo cardiogram because I am on insulin, but not because they saw anything concerning.  So there will be another ultrasound in another few weeks!

One thing that they confirmed for me was that I have an anterior placenta.  This means that the placenta is on the belly button side of the uterus.  It doesn't pose any risk to me or the baby, but does mean that I will feel less movement early on.  I had already suspected this might be the case since I haven't felt much movement in the kick/jab/tap arena, but have definitely felt hits to my cervix and big rolls.  Sort of feels like a win to know my body so well that I was able to determine that I had an anterior placenta without being told.

I'll leave the update there since my next questionnaire is coming up!  Twenty weeks (halfway!) this Friday!!!  Feels like it is going fast (sort of).  I have a LOT to get done in the next few months.


Profile 19.5 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment