Saturday, April 4, 2015

Friendship

As I take a break from my VERY dusty cleaning project, I have a view of my collection of framed photos in my living room. It is full of the shining faces of my closest friends (among others). I've written a bit here before about my challenges with friendship in the past. It was an area that I just consistently struggled with in my life. I was never really sure why. For many years I took the old and tired excuse that I "just wasn't like other women"... I didn't understand many of the issues that came up. I frequently caused offense where none was intended and was frequently let down myself.

Today, as I sit here looking at these pictures, my heart is full. I have many friends now that I know I can call at any time and they will be there for me. And I for them. These are genuine friendships where I feel like I can bring my whole self to the table and be loved for exactly who I am. I can fall apart, or be strong, and I will still be seen as me. Just the knowledge that I have these people in my life gives me strength to journey forward in my life, no matter what new challenge I am presented with. Some of these people I talk to nearly daily, others every couple of months or more. And yet, the love is there.

So although I crave the love and company of a partner, I think this year may be the year of friendship for me. And that's pretty amazing. Last year I worked on myself in a silo. This year I continue the journey of self transformation in the comfort of my amazing friends. Who knows where I can go from here, but I have great faith that it will be beautiful, and totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment