Monday, February 23, 2015

DUFF

Tonight I went to see the Movie The DUFF.  It stars Mae Whitman (who I love from many things including Parenthood, and as the voice of Tinkerbell in all the Disney Fairies movies).  DUFF stands for Designated Ugly Fat Friend.  The movie itself was pretty typical teenage angst movie.  Predictable, but cute.  I laughed out loud several times.  Anyhow, this is not meant to be a movie review.  As I watched the movie I kept thinking to myself how I was the DUFF in high school.  As they introduced the two (hot) best friends of the main characters, I knew exactly who each girl was in my own high school life.  Then, lying in bed tonight, I realized that I still believe I am the DUFF when I go out with my friends.  I don't know that any of my friends think of me that way, but I definitely have had direct (recent) experiences where a guy talked to me to get to a friend of mine.  Ironically all of my friends are married, so it does them no good.  Anyhow as I thought about this, I realized that is a pretty terrible self perception.  Who am I to consider myself the ugly fat friend?  And what is worse, I know that when I am feeling that way, it is exactly who I become.  But I can think of many different subgroups of my friends where I am consistently the DUFF.  So how do I overcome this?  How do I stop being the DUFF and start being the person that others want to be around?  Guys want to date?  Girls want to befriend?  I actually think some of the advice given in the movie was good.  Laugh more.  Have fun.  Be yourself.  Dress to show who you are.  And make sure your clothes fit you well.


Anyhow, I'm sure that many of my friends would have at some point considered themselves the DUFF, so maybe it is all a matter of how we view ourselves.  Still, I'm fascinated that I carry this title with me into adulthood.  I think it is time to drop it.  I am just an F.  A good old fashioned F. lol =)

No comments:

Post a Comment