Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Change of Plans

I posted a couple of weeks ago that I was planning on having my implant exchange surgery on December 28th.  Today I had my follow up appointment with my Radiation Oncologist.  She is very pleased with how I have healed and thinks everything looks great.  So great that aside from seeing her before having surgery, she doesn't want to see me until March of 2013!!!  Yep, over a year from now!

With that said, she shared with me that statistics indicate a significant decrease of potential risks after six months post radiation.  She isn't worried about my skin- that should heal just fine.  She also said my plastic surgeon is excellent (actually she raved about my cosmetic results even compared to women with their final implant in, and I only have the expander!), and that his willingness to work on me wasn't wrong per se.  However, the main issue is that there is a much higher risk for tissue fibrosis internally.  Essentially I want my expander replaced because it feels like a rock on my chest and I am wretchedly uncomfortable.  However, if the tissue reacts because it hasn't finished its process post-radiation, then I could end up just as uncomfortable with a more permanent rock on my chest.

So after a lengthy discussion trying to weigh risk versus benefit, I have decided to trust my gut that my body isn't ready.  I am still experiencing some swelling from the radiation, and had even tried to do some research to figure out why at least one of the plastic surgeons I met with told me that they wouldn't be allowed to operate on me for 6-12 months post radiation.  Now that my doctor has explained to me what the risk is, and how it fits into the time frame, I trust that waiting, at least a little bit longer, is the right choice.  Although I'm disappointed that I won't be done in 2011, I feel good about my decision.  My doctor also shared with me that the reason I can't have an MRI with my expander (one of the reasons I wanted to have it swapped out) is that they are concerned about the magnet- not me.  There is no risk of the expander ripping through my skin or some horrible other interaction.  They just don't want to ruin the machine, and the reality is that it really won't do that either.  We would also be doing MRIs on my remaining breast, not for the affected side.  So using ultrasound and mammogram (and PET scan if necessary) is more than sufficient.

Although today's appointment changed my plans, it left me feeling much more confident about getting through my next year.  Life looks a little better to me each and every day.

1 comment:

  1. Following your gut instinct is probably the right thing to do! xoxo

    ReplyDelete